Thursday, December 16, 2010

Legal Authority

It’s funny how difficult it can be hunting down lawyers, in the movies they always seem over eager to take up your case. We’ve all heard of ambulance chasers and how some lawyers are about as eager as door to door salesmen in their endeavors to find a client. Of course in the real world things aren’t as simple. Before falling back on my final option, my cousin, I decided to try out the harder route and go with an unknown. I tried to call up a bunch of offices, but it was amazing just how dodgy lawyers can be especially when it comes to only answering a few questions. I was also amused by the experience how almost all the secretaries seemed sound like they were all the same person. The same indifferent façade, the same broiling questions, and the same “we will get back to you as soon as possible.” In one instance I made the fatal mistake of calling one of the secretaries just that, a “secretary,” and I was rudely introduced indirectly to their feelings towards my condescension. But eventually I decided blood is thicker than water, and went with my cousin, Victor Hairapetian who is a real estate lawyer out of Glendale, California. I’ve known this cousin of mine all my life, he’s about 20 years older than me, plus has been always warm in our meetings. All I had to do was call him up, through his personal cell phone, and never even have to deal with any snarky middle man. Plus, it was pleasant having a chance to speak with him after all these years. The last time I had seen him or talk to him was about 4 years ago, and even though our conversation was short. For the fact I was talking to a lawyer, it was ironically quaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment